Thursday, April 9, 2020

Thursday book recommendation




These are books I’ve read and really enjoyed. Most of what I talk about will probably be paranormal/scifi but not always. Although it’s rare, I do read some contemporary.



This week is:  Surfacing (Wolf Born Book 1) by Claire Cullen


Blurb:
A wolf fighting to save the last of his pack. A merman struggling with his true nature. They’re worlds apart, but they can’t survive alone…

Luke wants his life back, but he'll settle for his freedom. His only chance of escape is Red, the fearsome, furious wolf searching for his stolen sister. He’ll say anything to convince Red to take him away from his human captors, drawn toward the man who sees him as little more than a burden. Red is danger and power all wrapped up in one, and Luke can’t tear his eyes away.

Red has done his best to ignore what’s happening out in the world. But all that ends when he comes face to face with Luke and is forced to confront reality—wolves aren’t the only shifters anymore. He frees Luke as a means to an end, but the longer they’re together, the stronger the pull he feels. It can’t be real. There’s no place for a merman in a wolf pack. Yet his instincts tell him Luke is something more, something to be protected.

Just when Luke thinks Red is going to sacrifice him to save his sister, the wolf promises him safety and a second chance at life. With Red by his side, Luke starts to believe freedom is worth fighting for.


Surfacing is the first book of the Wolf Born trilogy. It’s a m/m shifter romance, featuring babies, helicopter rides, and, as always, a happy ending. There are some difficult themes, including fear of drowning/being under water. Surfacing is not suitable for readers under the age of eighteen.


My thoughts: Seriously, you can’t go wrong with a Claire Cullen book. And this one has a merman! And a wolf! Really, what more do I need to say? I liked the take on how Luke came into existence. I haven’t read too many like that. Having written mermen myself, I really liked how she explained how Luke shifted. Red did kinda annoy me at first, but he’s supposed to do that. His character growth was well done. By the end of the book, I was fully on board with him.

Oh, and for y’all who like merbabies… you’re gonna want to read this. I should add this is NOT mpreg, though. Can’t say more than that. ;)