Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Tuesday Teaser - Bound by War

 


~excerpt from Bound by War


"Long story short, Princess Dossi offered me the opportunity to obtain vengeance for the murder of King Duran. I… returned the blade to her.”

Torin raised an eyebrow.

Hamza’s tail whipped behind him before lying quietly. “My reasons are my own. Nevertheless, Dossi had more cause to extract revenge than I.”

“Queen Ogill had your dabba killed. I am curious as to what could be more important than that.” 

“Ogill removed her own daughter’s tongue because Dossi spoke out against Ogill. I simply can’t wrap my head around that kind of atrocity.” Hamza paused, then glanced at Neo before returning his attention back to Torin.

“You might not, but I can,” Torin replied.

Laken struggled not to whine again. That absolutely broke his heart. Like Hamza, Laken had been surrounded by affection and solid friendships.

“And that’s a shame. My dabba and atat love me. I grew up knowing this, Torin. Losing my dabba set me on a course that could’ve destroyed all I held dear if I’d continued on that path.” Hamza took Neo’s hand.

Laken had seen Ogill die. It had been gory. But also emotional. Emotional for Hamza but also for Kia. Kia had been abused by the female Ne Reynians before being given to the Tah’Narians as a mate to Malk.

They traded him away as if he was nothing more than a used good that had no value. Which pretty much described how the females viewed their males.

Neo tugged Hamza’s hand until Hamza moved so they were standing side-by-side. “Anger is a poison. It can destroy the best of us. Hamza had a choice to make, and thank the gods, he made the right one,” Neo said. “He refused to let rage rule him.”

“Ogill, of course, used that as an example of how I was a weak male. She didn’t get it.” Hamza released Neo’s hand and wrapped his arm around Neo’s waist. He kissed Neo’s cheek then returned his gaze to Torin. “She died not understanding that love isn’t a weakness, but that’s not my problem. What matters is I can sleep at night.”