Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Tuesday Teaser - Bound by War

 


Excerpt from Bound by War


“Raiden’s anger may have sidetracked him from what Neo said right when I walked in, but I haven’t forgotten. Is there something you need to tell me?” Hamza asked.

Laken might be part Ne Reynian, but he was raised as a Tah’Narian. He grew up with Hamza, but that didn’t change the fact his younghood friend was also king of Tah’Nar. Laken considered himself more Tah’Narian than Ne Reynian.

“Are you asking as my friend or as my king?”

“Right now? Your friend. There may come a time, unfortunately, when I have to take an interest as king. But for right now, I’m asking as Hamza.”

“Then I’ll gladly tell my friend that I found my mate. I’ve heard you all talk, you know. I also remember hiding in a copse of trees with Neo so he could spy on you during training. I saw how he was affected just by watching you. Plus, he told me what he felt.”

“It was so humid water was dripping off the leaves.” Neo grinned at Laken. “A royal guard was training with Hamza and Raiden. I was ogling Hamza, and you were ogling Jar.”

“Hey! I was only admiring his battled-scarred physique. I have a thing for that.”

All three of them looked at Torin with his many scars.

“Anyway, I told you there was someone out there for you. Said I felt it,” Neo said slowly.

Laken nodded. “And I said that I wished I felt it.”

“And I said that you would. That when you did, it’d be like a kick to the gut.”

“I didn’t think you actually meant it felt like that. But it does. It so does, but in the best way ever. I saw him, and everything just stopped.”

Hamza rested his hand on Laken’s shoulder. “I’m happy for you.”

“Even though my mate is a Blishue?”

“Fate doesn’t make mistakes. It’s paired you with him for a reason. What that reason is? We don’t know yet. I also will not lie to you. There will be some who have issue with this, especially the older generation.”

Neo pinched the bridge of his nose. “I can think of three right off the top of my head.”

So could Laken. In fact, his dabba was going to blow an antimatter inducer. He didn’t have any idea how Kia would react.