Monday, November 14, 2016

Midnight Mist & Moondust - Chapter seven

Beginning is here




Look for the flash to post every Monday. Fair warning: there are some scenes of dubious consent. If you've read any of my books, you know I don't do rape, but this *is* a Halloween flash. It *is* going to be a bit on the dark side. I *am* going to push the boundaries.

And it's not been edited since I waited to the last moment (again) to write the chapter lol. It's Sunday and football! I'm in front of the TV all day. ;)




Chapter Seven
“A lot of fucking good praying is going to do,” Caleb whined as he flopped back into his chair. “Or running.”
“Shit, shit, shit.” Raleigh tugged at his hair. “Okay, give me a second to think.” Raleigh paced up and down the kitchen.
It was so silent Caleb could hear the hum of the refrigerator. The low buzz tempted him towards sleep. He blinked his eyes several times, but they continued to water. God, he was so tired. He rubbed the wetness away with a closed fist.
Raleigh continued stalking around the kitchen mumbling under his breath.
Caleb rested his chin on his fist and watched his best friend…. who was a werewolf. His mind wandered. What would it be like to shift into another form? Into an animal? How many of the animals he saw on a daily basis were actually animal?
Oh God. What about the squirrel that committed suicide by running out in front of him a couple days ago? It didn’t bear thinking about. Surely people like Raleigh still maintain some semblance of themselves. He sincerely hoped they’d have enough sense not to run out front of a moving vehicle.
Raleigh suddenly stopped pacing and looked at Caleb. “Where did the pendant come from?”
“It came with the spell. I just didn’t tell you about it.”
Raleigh kicked one of the kitchen cabinets. “I really wish you would’ve had.”
“Stop beating up on inanimate objects or we’ll never get our deposit back.” Caleb blew a strand of hair out of his eyes. “And believe me, I wish I’d told you too.”
“So you bought the spell and got the pendant. And what? Tell me what happened next.”
“I… well, I rented the cabin and went out to the woods. Once I was there, I did the spell and—”
“Wait a minute. Backup just a moment. When exactly did you put the pendant on?”
“Not long after I bought the spell.” Caleb shrugged. “It was kinda cool in a goth sort of way, and I liked it. I remember thinking it would probably look better on you than me since you wear stuff like that.” Caleb waved his hand at Raleigh.
Even though Raleigh hadn’t been up long, he wore several leather bracelets and a couple o of chains. His long black hair was loose and flowing down his back. All Raleigh wore was a pair of black night pants. Huh. Caleb stared at the tattoos on Raleigh’s body. “You have tattoos.”
Raleigh blinked. “Yeah, so?”
“If you change into a wolf, how do you keep the tattoos? Wouldn’t they—I don’t know—like disappear or something when you change forms?”
Raleigh blinked several more times. “Not exactly the question I was expecting, but okay. Let’s go with that. The tattoos are permanent. So even though my body can shift from one form to the other, the tattoos are always there. The reason why you can’t see them in my wolf form is because I have fur then.”
“That’s cool.”
Raleigh sat back at the kitchen table. “Cool, he says.” Raleigh shook his head. “Let’s focus more on what’s going on with you right now, okay?”
Caleb yawned again. “Yeah, sorry.”
“So? The pendant…”
“There’s not really much to tell. I got it when I got the spell, I liked it, and I put it on. It was as simple as that. I took the spell and went to the cabin.”
“And left me a voicemail while I was at work when you knew I couldn’t answer.”
Caleb scowled. “I already apologized for that. You want me to tell you what happened or are you going to ride my ass?”
“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Continue.”
“As I was saying, that night, under the full moon, I recited the spell. I waited and waited, but nothing happened. When nothing continued to happen, I finally had to admit I was an idiot. I was also a hungry idiot, so I went into town to eat. I came back to the cabin and went to bed. That was the first time I had a weird dream.”
“Wait, what kind dream?”
“It’s kind of fuzzy but it had something to do with mist and someone making love to me.”
“Didn’t you think that was strange considering what you had just done?”
“If you keep interrupting I’m never going to get this told. Besides, I thought it was a fucking dream. The second time the mist thing happened I finally figured out it wasn’t just a mist. Now, again, as I was saying… I came back home. Remember that night you and I went to the movies?”
“Yes.”
“Well, I went to the bathroom, and do you remember how shook up I was when I came back?”
Raleigh closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He opened them and looked at Caleb. “Did he appear to you in the bathroom?”
“Yeah. It was the weirdest thing too. It’s like he froze time, except for it didn’t apply to us. He… touched me, just like he did that night the cabin.”
“What you mean he touched you?”
Caleb’s face heated. “What do you mean what do I mean? He… he… Jesus. He jacked me off, okay?”
“And?”
“And I hate you.”
“Now’s not the time to be coy.”
“I’ve never been coy in my life either. He bit me that night, and I came so hard it’s a miracle I didn’t sprang my dick.”
“Now that’s an image.”
“Shut up. But then it was like he took a step back. Some time passed and nothing happened… until last night. He showed up, told me to invite him in, and the next thing I know, we’re having sex… and he’s bitten me yet again. He also told me there was nowhere I could run and that I couldn’t take the pendant off. That he could always find me because of it.”
“Shit. Is there anything else?”
“Isn’t that enough?”
Raleigh scowled.
“Oh, oh, yeah, there is. I forgot this. After the first bite, I started having dreams. Sometimes they were erotic, but more often than not it was almost like I was seeing flashes of his life.”
“Shit.”
“You said that already. Sometimes Brone was in a kilt, sometimes it was a elaborate suit with a with a top hat…. One time he had a fancy white wig on. Another time I saw him walking down a dark street with a cell phone stuck to his ear. Only, it wasn’t like the cell phones we have today. This thing was as big as a brick.”
“He’s tying himself to you. I’m almost sure those are memories of his you’re seeing.”
“So what do I do?”
“I… let me talk to my dad.”
“Are you going to get into trouble for telling me what you are?”
“Well…” Raleigh huffed. “The good thing is dad knows you and likes you. He’s not going to be happy, no. But when I tell him why I said something, he’ll understand. Maybe he can help. We had a medicine woman in our pack. Maybe she has some advice or ideas.”
As Caleb listened to Raleigh speak, the sinking feeling of being unable to avoid the the inevitable outcome over him. “This isn’t looking too good, is it?”
Raleigh stared at Caleb. “You want the truth or do you want me to blow smoke up your ass?”
“The truth.”
“Well, then, no. As far as I know there’s no way to stop this. And from the sounds of it, this vampire is very old, especially if you’re seeing flashes of him in a kilt. The older a vampire is, the stronger they are. And I’ll be honest with you, there aren’t too many paranormal’s who are willing to take on a vampire.”
“So basically I’m screwed.”
“I didn’t say that.” Raleigh reached across the table and took Caleb’s hand. “I’ll help you, if that’s what you truly want.”
Raleigh’s words startled him. “You don’t think it is?”
“Well, you’re the one who’s been wanting to be a vampire for as long as I can remember. Now you have a chance to be what you’ve always wanted.”
“God, that’s frightening.” Caleb scrubbed his hands across his face. “You said it sounds like he wants me for a mate. What does that mean?”
“Keep in mind, I’m not a vampire, so I really don’t know that much about them. But what little but I do know is taking a mate is a serious thing. For some reason this vampire—what was his name again?”
“Brone.”
“Brone has decided there’s something about you that would make the perfect mate. Let me see that pendant again.”
Caleb lifted the pendant so Raleigh could see it.
Raleigh leaned over the table, frowning. “I’m not really sure what the stone is, but it’s got black veins in it. And all those…. Are those bats that make up the setting? Right. Because that’s not morbid at all.”
“Hey, if he’s a vampire, it kind of fits.”
Raleigh sat down. “Have you noticed if he wore any other jewelry?”
“No, not really. I’ve had other things occupying my mind when he’d been around.” Like his hand on my dick or his cock up my ass.
“Yeah, I bet. I’m willing to bet that this pendant is very important to him. I’m guessing that stone has some sort of meaning. Think of it like a wedding band. Kinda.”
“A wedding band. Jesus. Apparently it’s a permanent one.” Caleb yawned again.
“Why don’t you go lay back down? You look like you’re about to fall asleep at the table.”
“I am really tired.” Dying will do that to a body.
“Go take a nap. I’ll call my dad and see what I can find out. I’ll wake you up in a little while.”
“Before nightfall would probably be good.”
Raleigh nodded soberly. “Yeah, there is that.”
Caleb dragged his tired ass from the kitchen back to his bedroom. Oddly enough, his mind was numb. He didn’t know if this was the calm before the storm—meaning that it hadn’t really sank in yet that he was dying—or…. Or he really wasn’t scared. But how could that be? According to Raleigh, he was dying. Dying. What person in their right mind wouldn’t be afraid of that?
But death was only the beginning.
So tired he could barely keep his eyes open, he stripped and, naked, climbed into bed. He pulled the sheets up to his chin and closed his eyes. “I’m scared.”
As he fell asleep, Caleb couldn’t say to whom he was speaking but the sentence ‘death was only the beginning’ kept circling and his mind.
* * * *
“Caleb. Caleb. Come on, buddy. I need you to wake up.”
Caleb moaned helplessly. He didn’t want to wake up, dammit.
“Look, I know you’re tired, but I talk to my dad, and I need you to wake up.”
Caleb’s eyes flipped open. “W-what? Your dad? Huh?”
“Yeah, I talked to my dad.”
“Okay, okay. Jeez. How long as I sleep?”
“Only about an hour.”
“Well, I feel like I’ve been asleep a hell of a lot longer than that.” Caleb struggled to sit up. He made sure the sheets were tucked around his waist then shoved his hair out of his eyes. He looked at Raleigh. “Well?”
“Dad wants me to bring you to him. Let me tell you, that’s something which doesn’t happen very often. He wants our medicine woman to take a look at you and that damn pendant.”
“Okay, why is it such a big deal? I’ve met your parents several times. I’ve even eaten at your house on more than one occasion, remember?”
“Because dad isn’t meeting you as my dad. He’s meeting you as my Alpha. I’m taking you to a sacred stone temple on our pack lands. It’s where we worship our gods. Tell me, Caleb, do you believe in magic?”
Caleb blinked. After everything he’d learned lately, Raleigh really had to ask that question? “Yes. You better believe I do.”
“Good. Because you’re going to see things you’ve never believed possible.”

Caleb snorted. He was one slippery step away from being dead and his best friend was a werewolf.