Thursday, May 16, 2013

Hop Against Homophobia and Transphobia

 
 
 
 
In honor of International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia (May 17th the Hop Against Homophobia and Transphobia (HAHAT) was created last year to spread awareness of homophobia and transphobia, and as a way to stand together as a writer community against discrimination of our works.
  







Last year I talked about my kids and the good friends they've lost to suicide due to homophobia. This year I'd like to touch on something a little more postive. I want to talk about a boy my youngest has been friends with since 4th grade choir. They both graduate this year. As a matter of fact, in just two weeks.

Her friend was kicked out of his house at the beginning of his senior year. His parents are very religious and couldn't handle the fact he's gay. This boy I've known for years. He's a sweet, talented kid who made great grades. He's part of my kiddo's choir and his voice is amazing. The kid has some serious talent. He also was very active in his church.

I'm going to keep this short since there are so many taking part in this hop, but her friend moved back home at the beginning of this year. His mom and dad had a huge wake-up call. They still aren't thrilled with his being gay, but know what? They found out being gay is one thing.

Being dead is another.

That really makes things final.

There was a horrible car accident. Three out of four died in that wreck. I saw what was left of that car and to this day I can't tell you how her friend survived with barely a scaratch. By the grace of God is the best thing I can come up with and it sure made an impact on his parents.

Her friend and his boyfriend were just over here a couple of days ago. Yes, his parents know he has a boyfriend and accept both boys. Everything is fine on the homefront, I'm glad to say. :)

The only sad thing is it took death to wake those parents up. Some parents, and many kids, don't get that second chance.



I'm picking three people to give a book from my backlist to, readers choice. :) Just leave a comment, can be about anything, and an email address. I hope you'll follow my blog, but it's not necessary. :) The hop ends late on the 27th and I'll announce the winners on the 28th.
 
~M


 

28 comments:

  1. I love your books and I can't wait for The Harvest series to come out.
    Sara
    svblix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez, chills galore! I'm so glad his parents came around, but also horrified that this was what it took for them to open their eyes.

    Erica
    eripike at gmail doc come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes people suck. I'm glad the parents realized what mattered. Children are precious treasures. Thanks for sharing, Michelle.
    Danielle
    dandatins at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking part in the hop! A great post indeed.

    kimberlyFDR@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad his parents finally came around, but it's sad that it took almost death to do it. Having children means accepting them no matter what. How can parents not understand that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a heartrending story...sigh. (But as a hockey fan, I'm all over that poster!)

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, love the poster!

    cojazzchick AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez, that was a sad story. I am glad that it has a happy ending, but I wish that people could be more accepting. Death should not be the reason people start to wake up.

    Anyway, thank you for participating in the hop and I would love to enter the contest. Thanks.

    Beth
    JPadawan11@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope those parents realize how lucky they are. And I hope they spread the word about acceptance! Thanks for sharing such a powerful story.
    Urbanista
    brendurbanist/at/gmail/dot/com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for helping raise awareness about acceptance and love. Thanks for participating in the blog hop!
    -Marie

    awindandbooks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel so sad everytime I hear another story about a teen killing his or her self. It breaks my heart because these teens are our future. We need to protect them and I wish everyone could do something. I'm glad there are people who care.
    Jay xxjsc929xx@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a good outcome for your childs friend, lets hope it continues and that his parents learn to spread acceptance

    Suze
    Littlesuze at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made me realize that I haven't been educating my two kids enough on this. Please count me in.

    Thanks
    Karl
    slats5663(at)shaw(dot)ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. As nice as the part about the parents coming around is - the part about him forgiving them, moving back in is - at least for me the - as noteworthy if not more so.

    leo.v.s at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so heartbreaking. It's just... so sad that yeah... death was the thing that woke them up to accepting their child just the way he is.

    Thank you for being a part of the blog hop.

    Judi
    arella3173_loveless@yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow. Talk about a wake up call!
    Thanks for this!
    Barb
    creativebarbwire at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so pleased that your child's friend is okay. In a perfect world parents would love their kids no matter what. Thank you for supporting such a wonderful hop.
    wcyndy@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So good to hear about a change of heart but so sad how it came about. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was such an good story. Thank you for sharing and participating in this amazing hop!

    Sophie
    sophiebonaste@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing the story of your daughter's friend. It's great to hear that his parents had a change of heart but saddening that it only occurred after a tragedy.

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for participating in the Hop and for sharing that story.

    peggy1984 (at) live (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sad for the other kids, but I'm happy for him. I hope they treat him well!

    lena.grey.iam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, that just gave me chills. I hope those parents realize how lucky they were with that second chance. It makes me sad to think they are some parents who wouldn't care even after that, but I'm glad that couple has come around. So glad her friend is safe and happy. Beautiful!

    Thanks for sharing with all of us!

    caroaz [at] ymail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving that shirt in the pic! Thanks so much for sharing your post in this blog hop! Such an important subject.
    Follow: OceanAkers
    OceanAkers @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post! It's so sad that people had to die for his parents to accept him. Thank you for taking part in the hop!
    sstrode at scrtc dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. At least his parents woke up. I'm guessing most never do.

    Thanks for participating in this great hop!

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I’m so glad that they realized they were wrong and accepted their son. It’s such a shame to me though that sometimes it takes death or near death to show us the truly important things in life. Thanks so much for sharing and for participating!

    tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete