Friday, September 19, 2014

Welcome Chris T. Kat - Tidal Change

The recent popularity of mermen
Michelle, thank you very much for the opportunity to be a guest on your blog—again. What can I say? I like to be here. :)
Dreamspinner Press published my new release, Tidal Change, on September 17th. Tidal Change is a shape-shifter story but it also has fantasy/fairy tale elements because the main character, Marty, is a merman.
Call me naïve, but when I wrote Tidal Change, I thought mermen story weren't very popular. Even when I submitted my novella, I still didn't realize that mermen seem to be a rather popular topic at the moment. Dreamspinner Press accepted my manuscript in a little bit over three weeks, which surprised me (and made me stupidly happy) , even then, I didn't catch on that the topic must be cool.
A few months ago, I suddenly saw mermen books pop up everywhere. I haven't read any of those—yet. I'm curious about them, but I wanted to wait till my edits were done, so I wouldn't be influenced by the takes of other authors on merfolk myths. What is it that fascinates people so much? Is it the mythical component? Or the beautiful images of mermaids and mermen? Or is it the attraction to the ocean?
For me it's all of the above, plus water has always been my element, and since childhood I dreamed about writing a story that included merfolk. What's the attraction for you? 

 Buy link:

Blurb:
Something draws history teacher Rick Grady across the school hall to German teacher Marty Lindson. Maybe it’s their shared love of the ocean. Maybe it’s just that Marty is so hot, but maybe it’s something more—something mysterious. All Rick knows is that every time he gets close, Marty pulls away. After another cancelled date, Rick goes to Marty’s apartment to demand an explanation. And what Rick discovers blows his mind.
The ocean calls to Marty because he’s a merman. He’s been afraid to get close to Rick, not just to keep his world a secret, but because Rick is his mate. And to claim his mate would change everything about Marty. No matter how much he loves Rick, he doesn’t know if he’s ready to alter his entire life.

Excerpt:
They explored the aquarium, petting the rough skin of the sharks and watching the displays of multicolored fishes. Once in a while, Rick gave Marty an uneasy glance. Was that a light humming sound emanating from him? Or maybe he was suffering from some sort of hallucinations? Hell, at one point he could have sworn Marty’s arm vibrated. But when he stared at him, Marty simply smiled and pulled him toward another exhibit, and the moment passed.
As they stood in front of the clownfish exhibit, Rick observed, “Flashy little things.”
Marty nodded but he didn’t comment on Rick’s remark. Surprised, Rick turned to his usually chatty companion and frowned. Marty’s gaze was fixed on the orange bodies striped with white as they flashed through the water, sometimes seeking shelter behind an anemone.
He nudged Marty. “Hey, what’s the wistful look for?”
Marty flinched and then tried to hide his reaction. Before Rick could address it, Marty said, “They’re pretty, aren’t they?”
“Yes, and interesting too. Did you know that all clownfish are born as males and that they’re able to change their gender to female?” Rick had been fascinated by the information he’d read on these unusual fish.
“Ah, yes, fascinating. How about getting something to eat? I’m starving.”
Rick’s stomach rumbled. He linked arms with Marty. “That’s fine. I need to sit down anyway.”
“Just no seafood,” Marty said as they made their way to the restaurant.
Rick shook his head. “Not even a bite of crab?”
Marty grimaced and pretended to retch. “Stop teasing me about it!”
“I’m not teasing you. I want to help you expand your culinary horizon.”
Marty shot him a smile. “I really appreciate your kindness, but my culinary horizon can’t take an expansion. It’s very narrow-minded and wants to stay that way.”
They had to wait to get past a crowd of people and Rick seized the moment to whisper, “How about expanding another horizon instead?”
Heat rose in Marty’s cheeks and his eyes gleamed silvery. All the sound around them receded into the background, and Rick became aware of the same odd humming he’d noted earlier. Rick bent his head, intent on kissing Marty, but Marty broke the moment with a jerk of his head.
“The restaurant is calling my name… and now there’s actually room for us to get there,” he said in a hoarse voice.
Rick sighed. He still allowed Marty to lead him through the aisles, even though his engorged cock pressed against his jeans, demanding attention. Why did Marty play hot and cold all the time? It always went like this, always. He hated that.

Chris T. Kat
Chris T. Kat lives in the middle of Europe, where she shares a house with her husband of many years and their two children. She stumbled upon the M/M genre by luck and was swiftly drawn into it. She divides her time between work, her family—which includes chasing after escaping horses and lugging around huge instruments such as a harp—and writing. She enjoys a variety of genres, such as mystery/suspense, paranormal, and romance. If there's any spare time, she happily reads for hours, listens to audiobooks or does cross stitch.

Links: