Thursday, October 31, 2019

Happy Halloween!



Fearful, Foggy Night 
© Patricia L. Cisco


Damp darkness befalls as gray fog settles in.
Frightening shadows lingering within.

Footsteps echo through the black, eerie night
With scrapings and rustlings, yet nothing in sight.

Misty clouds floating across the dull moon.
Heart stopping feelings of horror and doom.

Howling squeals pierce the smoggy air.
My heart pounding harder in panicky fear.

The faster and faster I try to race,
My shaky, weak legs won't keep up the pace.

A scary, awful blood-curdling scream.
I feel so faint, as if in a dream.

Ghostly eyes glowing in bushes distant,
Getting closer and closer in an instant.

Frozen stiff, I shut my eyes tight,
Holding my breath with all my might.

Then swishing past in the chilly breeze,
Opening one eye, I suddenly breathe.

Finally putting my fears at ease.
Oh, it's just Trick or Treaters on All Hallows' Eve!

Published: October 2017