Friday, July 15, 2016

Finicky Friday - Frosty Strawberry Squares


Hey everyone, I thought it would be cool to post some recipes I had found online. I’m going to *try* to do some of these beforehand, but I’m sure there’ll be times I won't. I'm going to call this Finicky Friday. :)



Frosty Strawberry Squares

6 h 30 m
24 servings
159 cals
Prep 30 m
Cook 6 h
Ready In 6 h 30 m


Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup butter, melted

2 egg whites

1 cup white sugar

2 cups sliced strawberries

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 cup heavy cream


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 

Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. 

In a bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, walnuts and melted butter. Toast in the oven until walnuts are fragrant, about 15 minutes; stir occasionally. Sprinkle 2/3 of the walnut mixture evenly over the bottom of the 9x13 inch dish.

In a large bowl, whip the egg whites with the lemon juice until they can hold a soft peak. Gradually add white sugar while continuing to whip to firm peaks. Fold in the strawberries.

In a separate bowl, whip the cream with an electric mixer until stiff but not grainy. Fold into the strawberry mixture. Spoon over the crust in the dish and spread evenly. Top with the remaining walnut mixture. 

Freeze for 6 hours, or overnight.




~I chopped up my two cups of sliced strawberries to make them finer--the sliced strawberries got very hard when frozen and made the dessert hard to cut. The strawberry juices got into the fluffy mixture, turning it a pretty pale pink color. I had no problems cutting the frozen dessert then. I had a bit of a problem with the meringue portion, as my sugar didn't dissolve, no matter how much I whipped it. When I added the strawberries, though, the sugar dissolved just fine and the dessert came out fabulously.