Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Tuesday Teaser - Bound by War

 


~excerpt from Bound by War (Laken's story)


“You’re lucky she didn’t kill you.”

“It wasn’t for lack of trying,” Torin said. “I take it she’s dead?”

“She is,” Hamza answered.

“And?”

Hamza studied Torin. “Are you sure you wish to get into this now?”

“Yes. I—” The was a whoosh from the console near Torin, and he grimaced. “I feel fine, but if that’s pain medication, I probably won’t be awake long.”

Neo moved to the machine and checked something. “It was. It’s amazing you’re even sitting up. You should be flat on your back and unconscious.”

“I was highly motivated not to be.”

“I’ll make this brief,” Hamza said. “As you know, Tah’Nar got involved in the Ne Reynian civil war. My starships attacked, the tide of the battle turned, but the Ne Reynian battleships refused to surrender.”

“Not surprising.”

“They sustained massive loss of life. Once it was safe, ground troops were sent to the surface. They rendezvoused with the resistance and took the palace. Thanks to you, we knew Queen Ogill was in residence.”

Torin bowed his head in acknowledgment.

“Queen Ogill was captured. Princess Dossi was located and freed. Queen Ogill was chained to the floor in the throne room to await judgement. Long story short, Princess Dossi offered me the opportunity to obtain vengeance for the murder of King Duran. I… returned the blade to her.”

Torin raised an eyebrow.