Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Tuesday Teaser - Bound by War

 


~This is an excerpt from my WIP Bound by War. It's Laken and Torin's book. I don't have a release date as of yet.



Heaving a sigh, Laken grimaced and met Torin’s gaze.  

“That’s what I thought.” He’d gone undercover, sacrificed his dignity, almost died, and it still wasn’t enough for these Tah’Narians.

“I’m sorry.” Laken’s fingers tightened on the fringe before letting go. “Neo tore a strip off several of them. He even questioned their honor, which for a Tah’Narian is a big deal.”

Torin refused to comment, not in the frame of mind he was currently in. But it incensed him. The Ne Reyn assassinated King Duran, but he was the one they wouldn’t treat because he was a Blishue?

“Then a doctor offered to do the surgery after the tongue lashing, but Neo refused. Said he didn’t trust anyone to do it but him. There was significant paling over that one, let me tell you. Never saw that many Tah’Narian lose color at the same time.”

He would’ve liked to see that too.

“Then Neo suggested they have a nice long talk with Grand Lady Impur on how the resistance feels about you. Ever seen a full grown Tah’Narian with his tail tucked?” Laken’s smile was positively evil. “It was great. Serves them all right. They did act dishonorably.”

“I owe Neo my thanks, then.” Just what he did not need—a debt of gratitude to a Tah’Narian. Not that he thought he was really in jeopardy of dying. And he’d never admit otherwise.

“Neo takes his oath as a doctor seriously, but beyond that, he’s a good person.” Laken shrugged. “Then again, I might be slightly biased. Neo’s my best friend.”

It took every bit of his training not to show a reaction to Laken’s statement. Neo, the king consort—the second most powerful male on Tah’Nar—was Laken’s best friend?

And Torin was attracted to Laken? Wanted him? Fully intended to have Laken no matter what. Once Laken’s friends found out, they’d do everything possible to keep them apart. Torin refused to allow that to happen. Laken was his.

Immediately he started plotting how to get off this starship with Laken. He’d take him and run to the ends of the galaxy if he had to. Nothing was going to stop him from taking Laken.

Not even Laken himself.

“I don’t know what else to say except how those doctors acted was wrong, and I’m sorry. They better hope Hamza doesn’t find out, but since Neo is Hamza’s mate, I wouldn’t bet on it.”

Torin dragged his attention back to the conversation. “Don’t concern yourself over it. It’s not important. I’m fine now.” Time to change the subject. “Have you heard anything about Queen Dossi?”

“No, not really. I’ve pretty much been here. I think Neo is still trying to get her to transport up to the Unity.”

“So she hasn’t yet.”

“I don’t know that she will. From what little bit I’ve heard, and what I saw while we were at the palace, she’s got a lot of work in front of her. No everyone is pleased with her plans.”

There was a whoosh from the console. “That sounds like the next dose of pain medication.” Which he would gladly take now. The sooner he healed, and the sooner he could get out here with Laken. “I probably won’t be awake long. You said I’ve been asleep for twenty-four-unit hours?”

“Yes.”

“Have you been here the whole time?”

“Of course. I told you I would be.”

“Thank you.”

The polite thing to do was tell Laken to go to his quarters and rest, but he wouldn’t do that. Not now. Not since he’d learned how important Laken was to the Tah’Narian leadership. Namely Neo.

“Will you stay?” Torin asked.

“If that’s what you want.”

“It’s what I want.”