Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Teaser Tuesday

 


~Teaser from Beyond the Darkness


“Mitchell, take Sheila and Stella with you and see if anybody was hurt where it hit. That area is pretty vacant, so hopefully nobody was there, but still,” Connie said. “Be careful. We may have people invading our territory too.”

“The cameras don’t show enemies on the ground, but we’ll be cautious,” Mitchell said. “What about the fire? I’m pretty sure there is one burning. I don’t see how there couldn’t be. We don’t have a fire department, and we certainly don’t need the humans out here with theirs.”

“Shift once you get there, hit the nearest lake, and hold as much water as you can in your mouth. Use that. I’ll address the lack of appropriate firefighting measures later.” It was also something Connie had never thought of, because he honestly never thought somebody would be ballsy enough to attack them.

“Yes, Right Hand,” Mitchell said, darting off. 

“Torres? Grab Beckett and Audrey and meet me outside by the front door.”

“Yes, Right Hand,” Torres said, hurrying off.

Turning, he saw that Hudson was dragging Kit toward their master bedroom.

“What’s going on?” Connie asked as he followed them. “Why are we going in here? What about the construction—”

“I’m stashing Kit in my hoard.”

“Over Kit’s objections,” Kit griped as he was pulled along. “Just want to throw that out there.”

There was no missing the scared and furious look on Kit’s face. It hurt Connie to see that. Knowing Hudson, it disturbed him too. Connie would never admit it to Kit, but he was thankful Hudson could do what needed to be done because Connie wasn’t sure he could. Making the hard decisions was why Hudson was such a good king. And this was definitely a hard decision.

“I don’t know if we’re being invaded, and the safest place for you is in my hoard. I’ve shown you where the access is to the tunnel that leads aboveground to the forest.”

“And you’re crazy if you think I’m going to leave the horde without you or Connie,” Kit snapped as he stood in their walk-in closet as Hudson gained access.

Once the door opened, Hudson spun around and grabbed Kit by his chin. “I cannot do what I need to do unless I know you’re safe. This is the safest place for you. Please, mate.”

“And what about me? I’m all safe in here while you tear around out there doing God knows what.”

“We’re practically indestructible, remember?” Connie chimed in.

“Practically does not mean invincible,” Kit snarled.