Friday, October 30, 2015

Behind the Eight Ball release and exclusive excerpt!




Blurb:

A cool morning, a yard full of birds, and a kitty on a mission. What more could a werecat want? Beta Heller Wirth has it all, except a mate—a shifter mate, that is. The last thing he wants is one of those dangerous humans who kill without remorse. Heller knows about that firsthand. So what does the goddess Bast do? She gives Heller exactly what he does not want—a human: business owner Lawson Dupre.

Lawson hasn’t a clue what just happened in his car detail shop. One minute a cute client is about to pass out, then he perks up and starts flirting. Next thing, he runs out the door like the hounds of hell are after him. Learning that Heller is a werecat doesn’t freak out Lawson. He happens to be one of those rare humans who knows paranormals exists. He even lives with one. Watch the fur fly as Heller and Lawson battle hurt feelings, misguided beliefs, and a power shift in Heller’s clowder.



Excerpt: 
“Hey! Man, slow down.” Marshell hurried out of the building, waving frantically at me. “Jeez, where’s the fire?”
Well, hell. I paused by my truck, waiting for him to catch up. Luckily the streetlight was nearby, so it was well lit behind the building where we parked. “No fire, just ready to go.”
“Uh-huh.” Marshell stopped next to me. “You practically ran out of there.”
“Did not.”
“Oh yeah, you did. What’s up? You’re acting odd.”
Marshell leaned against my car, his arm resting on the roof. His gray polo shirt strained across his massive chest. The man was built like a brick shithouse. Good Lord, his arms were muscular and his skin glistened in the moonlight.
His black hair was in cornrows he’d tied back. They hung down the middle of his back. I could see the concern in his hazel eyes. He really was a gorgeous man, with that strong jaw, goatee, and high forehead. At six three and two forty, there was a lot of man to drool over.
“Lawson? Did you hear me?” Marshell narrowed his eyes at me. “What’s the deal? You’ve been spacey all week.”
Damn. “Yeah, yeah, I heard you. Sorry, just had things on my mind.”
“Uh-huh. These things, do they have anything to do with why you and Janelle were in your office the other day with the door shut?”
Double damn. “Well….”
“Thought so. Come on.” Marshell grabbed my arm and tugged me along behind him.
“What are you…? Would you stop yanking on me, already?”
“Please, that was a tug, not a yank. As much hand action you’ve had going on lately, I’d think you’d know the difference.”
I finally knew what folks meant when they said they sputtered. “Oh my God, you did not just go there.”
Marshell glanced back at me and tapped his head. “Yeah, I did. Good hearing, remember? You might be at the other end of the house, but I can still hear you slapping the monkey.”
I swear the blush started at my toes and the heat of it barreled upward toward my face. Jesus, could I get any redder? “Just kill me now.”
“Nope, not before dinner.”
I eyed his hair, wondering how he’d feel if I grabbed a handful and yanked. Hard.
“Whatever you’re plotting, just stop,” he threw over his shoulder. “I’m buying you dinner, so no contemplating my demise.”
“You do know this is Friday night, right? We’ll be lucky to get in anywhere.”
Marshell snorted. “It’s not too late yet. We’ll get in. Trying to distract me isn’t going to work either. You’re telling me what’s up.”
“Look, it’s nothing. Really.”
Finally we stopped by his SUV, and he turned to me. “Right. You’re distracted and Janelle’s been smirking behind your back all week. Don’t tell me nothing’s up. You can tell me or—”
“I’d sooner run naked down Main Street—”
“As entertaining as that would be, you still haven’t answered my question. Running out of time here, bro.” He crossed those massive arms over his chest. “Do you me want to ask her? You know I will.”
Closing my eyes, I massaged my temples. Great, the first stirrings of a headache were brewing. Why was I dragging this out? I told them everything and had for years. They were my family. Actually they were the only family I had. My parents turned their backs on me ten years ago. Being gay left our relationship strained, but dating a black man apparently pushed them right over the edge. They were no great loss, as far as I was concerned.
“Lawson?”
I looked at him, seeing the concern in his eyes. I knew he’d do what he threatened and ask Janelle. I didn’t want to think about how much fun she’d have telling him. “Fine. Janelle seems to think I met my mate last Friday.”
Marshell blinked at me. He opened his mouth, closed it, and opened it again. His eyes bulged.
I glared at him. “That’s a fine imitation of a guppy you got going there.”
Marshell snapped his mouth closed. His glare was much more impressive than mine. “I can’t believe you compared me to some teeny tiny fish. A guppy. A flipping guppy. And what the fuck, man? Why are you standing here? Why aren’t you flat on your back with your—”
I leaned up against the SUV, watching the show. Look at the outrage. “You know I prefer to top.”



Buy links: