Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Tuesday Teaser

 



~excerpt from book #3

The wolf sat up, yawned, then ambled back toward them. He bumped his massive head against Terry’s leg. Laughing, Terry scratched between Alex’s ears.

Kage raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything.

“You seem tired,” Terry said to the wolf. “Let’s not overdo it on your first time. Now that you can shift, you’re welcome to whenever you want. Why don’t you change back, and I’ll fix us something for lunch?”

The wolf head-butted Terry again and wandered into his room. There was a flash of light and low murmured complaints after Axel shifted.

“I’m dressed. You guys can come back in,” Alex said.

Kage followed Terry back into the room. Apparently Terry had been right about overdoing it. Axel looked a little pale. He was sitting on his bed, and the hand he ran through his hair quivered.

After Terry finished checking Axel over once more, he took to the shadows to retrieve the lunch that he’d made. Since Axel seemed a little wobbly, Kage decided to wait until Terry got back.

“Are you okay?”

“That took more out of me than I was expecting.” Axel shook his head. “It’s ridiculous how weak I am.” Axel held his hand up which was still trembling.

“It’s going to take time. You didn’t get in this condition overnight and you’re not going to get out of it overnight.” Kage moved to the small sitting area in Axel’s room. On a table was a glass of water. Picking it up, Kage brought it to Axel.

“Thanks.” Axel took several big gulps. There was an overbed table next to him, and Axel put the glass on it. “I know it’s going to take time. I just hate being weak.”

“I don’t know of anybody who does, but I understand what you’re saying,” Kage said, standing next to the bed. “As soon as you’re able, Austin and I will help you move into your new apartment.”

Axel glanced down and sighed tiredly. “Are you sure you want to do that?”

“It’s already been decided. We’ve talked about this, Axel.” Kage rested his hand on Axel’s shoulder and squeezed gently. “Are you having second thoughts?”

Axel looked up. “I know you offered, but I don’t want to take advantage.”

Removing his hand, Kage sat down next to Axel on the hospital bed. “Believe me, you’re not.”

“I just want to make sure. I do appreciate it, though.”

“It’s not a problem. We both want you to get better.”

“Although the dead gods only know why.”

Before Kage could respond, Terry popped back into the room with his and Axel’s lunch.

“That smells delicious,” Kage said, standing. “I’m going to go so you two can eat. I’ll talk to you later, Axel.”

“I’ll be here,” Axel joked.

“See you later, Doc Terry.”

“Have a good day, Elder.”