Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Tuesday Teaser

~Okay,  ya'll, this is the last teaser from Hudson's book. Release date is Sept 22. (Click on the link to preorder)


CHOOSE.

CHOOSE!

One second Hudson was sound asleep, and the next, he was wide-awake and on the verge of transforming into his true form. He wrestled the urge back, but it was a near thing.

By the dragon gods, he was even panting. It had been hundreds of years since he’d come close to losing control. What the hell? But something had nearly caused that loss of control and fear in his chest.

Yes, fear. Along with sadness.

Shoving his sweaty hair back, he glanced at the clock and grimaced. Five fucking o’clock in the morning? The fuck? A memory flirted on the edge of his consciousness, just out of reach and fading quickly.

Hudson desperately tried to grab ahold of it. But like fairy dust, it slipped away no matter how hard he tried to hold on to it. There had been someone standing in the moon’s light, but for some reason, Hudson hadn’t been able to clearly see him.

But the one thing he did know was that it was a man, and he had long, light-brown hair. Dragons of the Fire Court had red hair. Every. Last. One. Of. Them. Whoever he’d been dreaming about, it had not been Connie or any other dragon in his court.

And he’d been circling above the man in his dragon form.

“Fuck!” Connie clutched Hudson’s arm, his claws sinking into flesh. “I think I’m going to—”

Hudson quickly glanced at Connie, who was sitting in bed next to him. His eyes were those of his dragon, his claws were out, and his horns were extending from his forehead. His skin was quickly fading to that sickly gray color that signified a partial shift.

Hudson grabbed Connie’s chin and stared into his eyes. “No.” The powerful voice of his dragon demanded attention. “You will not change.”

Connie sucked in a breath. “Yes… yes, my king. Dragon gods above, I will not lose control!”

As Hudson watched, Connie fought for control. Breath shuddering, he gave himself over to Hudson’s demand. Eventually Connie’s eyes returned to their lovely shade of brown, his horns receded, and his claws disappeared.

“What the fuck was that?” Connie choked out, still shaking. “I was dreaming about, about, something, and now I can’t really remember, but I kept hearing the word ‘choose’ and then suddenly I was really upset, and I just, I just….”

“Easy, sweetheart.” Hudson wrapped Connie up in his arms.

“I almost lost control. I can’t believe I almost lost control. I could’ve easily destroyed this section of your house if I had changed into my dragon.”

“But you didn’t.” But it’d been close. “You got the urge under control. Do you remember what you were dreaming?”

“Good thing I was in bed with you because I don’t think I would have otherwise. And no, I don’t really remember. It’s like it’s there, right on the edge of my brain, but I can’t remember for some reason.”

“Okay.” Hudson hugged Connie again. “But you remember the word ‘choose’, right?”

“Yes. It’s like the word was shouting inside of my head. But I don’t think it was aimed at me. And I was afraid. And upset. Sad. Oh, wait. I do remember something.”

“What?”

“I was circling above a person in dragon form, but he had long, light-brown hair. He wasn’t one of us with that hair color.”

Goose bumps crawled up Hudson’s back. There was no way, absolutely no way, they could’ve both had the same dream. Could they? It certainly sounded like they had. “Connie?”

“Yes?”

“It was a man? You’re sure?”

“I am, but I don’t know why I’m sure.”

Hudson took a deep breath before replying. “I think I had the same dream.”